Tuesday 21 February 2012

sky high 52:365


I wasn't sure what I was going to take today. THe sky is a bit grey here and I wasn't too keen on taking the dslr out with the dog. Amy took her camera back! I had the same thought as Michelle- but using the electricity statement!

But then I thought of the canvas Emma has in her room. She has such wide ranging interests that her room is a real eclectic mix. She loves pink and pretty, she loves anything beach themed, she loves techy and she also loves this picture. She's always loved it and this is the 3rd version she's had up in her room. I must admit that this photo always makes my tummy flip upside down. I am not great with heights if I feel I could fall- and with my natural lack of grace there is no way I could get anywhere near a steel girder suspended over the city!

My dad was a builder in the days before Health and Safety existed- and often tells tales of builders climbing huge cranes- and then walking across the arm to the bucket thing on the end and walking across girders like this one. All this without hard hats- which he maintains cause accidents because you can't guage where your head should be! I'm sure , my dad being my dad, he did things that others might have thought twice about. Not sure where I got my fear of falling from heights- maybe from listening to his stories! I used to have panic attacks walking along the cliffs in Cornwall. I do force myself to do that- because I love the views.

11 comments:

  1. I've often wondered if these workers did really eat their lunch on a girder each day or if it was an act of bravado set up for/by the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that I read once that they were paid to do this photo. But I know my dad says that builders did walk across girders like this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Emma i love that photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Gorgeous picture !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab picture :) I wouldn't do that even if I was paid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pic gives me vertigo - I can't even look at it for long :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. Builders really did walk across girders without safety helmets, and work on roofs without scaffolding unfortunatly ther were many fatal accidents

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab photo - great idea for the prompt x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! I couldn't sit on there!! Great pic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pic but it would freak me out too.

    ReplyDelete