Saturday 25 February 2012

Saturday 56:365


It's a really lovely sunny day today- with perfect clouds!!!!!!!!! So I'm not going to wait for rainclouds to appear- going with word 2!!!!! Saturdays.Now Saturdays normally mean work for me- so not my favourite day of the week. But when I have a week off and the sun is out like today- it's a lovely day!

I have to say thank you to who ever has tyrozets in their handbag(previous theme!)- my throat is really sore and I used to use those years ago. I've been to Boots this morning and my throat is soothingly numb- bliss!!!! We also popped to Costco to get some boring essentials- potatoes and stuff for packed lunches next week. Then these cakes and the recipe tin also leapt into the trolley. Every weekend we have to buy a 'pudding' for Emma- Sunday is pudding day. The initial idea was to 'bake' with her- but it's almost impossible to get her to co-operate. But maybe she'll try some of these new recipes. So tomorrow we'll be having one of these sweet little cupcakes! Think we might manage one for lunch today aswell.

But the "grandma's recipes" tin made me think about the way I used to spend Saturdays as a child. It was always supermarket day on Saturday- but the supermarket was in a shopping centre. I'd wander round WH Smiths and would probably buy a new book or notebook. We'd usually pop to my nan's at lunchtime and she'd have cooked my grandad braised steak, Which we'd share when he got back from his bowling. He'd ALWAYS have a penny mix bag of sweets for us- which had such delights as flying saucers, fruit salad and other yummy sweets. I don't think it was the sweets as such that are the biggest memory. It was the anticipation of my grandad coming home and us clambering to sit by his feet whilst he had his lunch- knowing that he'd have been to Woolworths to buy sweets for his grandchildren. I think I was only 10 when he died- but he was such a special grandad that the special memories were stored forever! I will always remember one holiday and I didn't have enough money to buy the two animal pictures that I want to take home. I had such a job trying to decide which one I wanted the most. I decided on one- only to find my grandad secretly went to buy the other one aswell so I could have both! I wish I still had them!


After he died- we started to take it in turns to go to each aunts house in turn - and we'd go to pick my nan up on the way. Then the men would go to the pub and the aunts would make a Saturday spread- cakes, bread and cheese etc! So Saturdays have always been a 'treat' day!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Love your childhood memories - cakes look lush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely way of spending saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your story - what a treat to have such grandparents. And the grandma's tin is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful memories! eh, penny mix bag of sweets, that brings back a few memories.. enjoy the cakes..xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saturday was always my mother-in-law's baking day, and every now and then I follow suit when I need to get away from the Saturday sportfest. It is more then than now, as I don't have a sweet tooth, and DH is on doctor's orders to lose more weight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stories there and your granddad sounds like a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog really brings your childhood to life

    ReplyDelete
  8. you need to write all these memories down kim!! i mean document them for the girls cos obviously you just did write them down.

    Love the tin, lets hope emma will be more enthusiastic about baking with you now, i have the opposite problem and far too many eager "helpers" when i start bakin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely memories :) and lol at the Tyrozets! x

    ReplyDelete